Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED!!! VISIT HTTP://WWW.CARNAGE-GAMING.CO.UK

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Carnage-Gaming.co.uk Is live!!
Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 12:04 am by Israfil

» Secret World and others
Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm by chickenturbine

» Star Wars: The Old Republic
Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 3:03 pm by Bitterness

» Dragon Age
Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:43 am by Israfil

» Bioshock 2
Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:53 pm by Bitterness

CoD4 Clan Server
Top posters
Ashrak
Comp doing my head in! I_vote_lcapComp doing my head in! I_voting_barComp doing my head in! I_vote_rcap 
Idaeus
Comp doing my head in! I_vote_lcapComp doing my head in! I_voting_barComp doing my head in! I_vote_rcap 
Cheesy
chickenturbine
Israfil
Munchie
Smellyferret
Cryten
Bitterness
Freon

Comp doing my head in!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cheesy
If you get here you win a prize!! Congrats! you Suck!
If you get here you win a prize!!  Congrats! you Suck!
Cheesy

Comp doing my head in! Empty
PostSubject: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Ok, so this is the story. If anyone knows wtf is going on please let me know before I break something! (most likely my fist on the wall lol!)

I load up CoD4 and refresh the server list. List populates and I click on one. Sometimes I get in, great. Other times it times out, not great. Either way though the next time I refresh the server list I get no data, or I get 3-4 servers with pings in the 6,000+ area.

9/10 I also loose my Xfire connection and it times out when I try to re-log. Firefox also wont load anything (it just gets stuck on the initial loading screen). However TS still works and I'm still able to talk and hear others talking.

Also at this stage whenever I try to load anything else (games mainly) they won't load at all and it stops responding as per task manager (the only way I can crash out of it)

A reboot of my machine fixes it but wtf is going on?!?!?! I can't be loosing my internet connection cos TS still works fine but everything else fucks up. I'm getting a bit pissed off with rebooting everytime I play too. (btw this is why sometimes I log onto TS for 5 mins then need to reboot).

After the reboot I'm pretty sure everything works fine and I can populate a server list on CoD4 as many times as I want.

Any thoughts as to WTF is going on and how I fix it are most welcomed!!
Back to top Go down
Freon
I know where the Submit button is
I know where the Submit button is
Freon

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 am

buy yourself a new pc like me Smile,
Back to top Go down
Ashrak
YEEEAARRG! YoHo, Ahoy!
YEEEAARRG! YoHo, Ahoy!
Ashrak

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 am

I get that when ever I do a full refresh of my server list instead of a quick refresh too... not as severe tho. I'll look about for you mate and see what I can find out.. but my first guess would be some kind of ping overload or a safety feature in some program or hardware (the modem).. I know some ISP's throttle connections that get a bit "frisky".. but I'll I'll see what I can find out for ya mate and keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Smellyferret
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.. unless you're me I have lots!
Smellyferret

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 3:14 am

how long since you last re-installed windows? cos I'd be tempted to back everything up to an external drive and then just start again.

That would cut out software issues, if it still happens then you are into the fun of figuring out what is causing it.... Mobo / mem is my guess!
Back to top Go down
Cheesy
Cheesy

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

Cheers. Problem is its a new machine, only got it a month or 2 ago so i would really hope its not mobo/mem related (so it was a fresh install of windows and cod at that time too). I also don't have the Windows disks. Damn those cheap online deals! lol!
Back to top Go down
Ashrak
YEEEAARRG! YoHo, Ahoy!
YEEEAARRG! YoHo, Ahoy!
Ashrak

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Actually... right bit of technical shizzle here... before you start the game get to a command prompt and run this command:

go to start > run > type "cmd" then press enter (without the qoutes)

You should get a black screen pop up with a blinking line. When that comes up type this command in:

"ping www.google.com -t >c:\ping.txt" press enter

Then leave that open and start cod as you normally would, do the server refresh thing that you do and let it run it's course.

After it all cuts out etc, get back to that black screen you left open and press "CTRL+C" this will stop the ping test, you can type "exit" to close that window.

Right.. once your system is back on the net after a restart, go to your C: drive and you'll find a file called ping.txt sitting in it. Copy and paste the contents in a PM to me (no one else will get your IP that way) I can then see when and what your internet connection is doing. When I've had a look at that I've got a couple more tests for you to do to determine what's goin on lol

Hope that makes sense Pete Smile
Back to top Go down
chickenturbine
I can play this Hard on Guitar Hero!
I can play this Hard on Guitar Hero!
chickenturbine

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm

lol this reminds me of when i rang overclockers about my problems with the 280
i warn thee pete this could be one of many oh just try this and then tell me what happens lol you gotta love pc's
Back to top Go down
Smellyferret
Smellyferret

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 1:46 am

Get a live goat, wait till an odd day friday (like 3, 17, 31 etc) when its raining and then open the CD tray and insert the CoD4 CD upside down (if you dont have the CD because you got it on steam then a strawberry yougurt will work nearly as well). Then when the cd (yogurt) fails to load, make the goat play minesweeper until it get a high score on the medium sized playfield. Once it does this, sacrifice it with a wooden spoon (you may need to sharpen this spoon by getting a beaver to knaw it a bit) and drip the blood from the goat into the vents on the chip cooler (techie note: if the side is hard to take off, buy some thumb screws) when you get a slightly weird cooking smell, reboot the machine (be sure to shut down minesweeper 1st) and then reboot it holding down the following key: Esc, T , Z, P,N, A,Q , the left Ctrl key and 7, 8 , 9 and enter on the keypad.

This boots windows into a secret mode where you can select that it doesn't playup for a week. Select the 'dont play up for a week option' and then reboot as normal and you should be good for a week. Just repeat this simple task every week (so long as the friday falls on an odd day) and you'll have no issues at all.

See, windows is simple.
Back to top Go down
Ashrak
YEEEAARRG! YoHo, Ahoy!
YEEEAARRG! YoHo, Ahoy!
Ashrak

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 pm

lol you could be a druid Dan Razz You could try the xbox 360 fix ha ha wrap your xbox in 4towels totally covering it, turn it on and cook the chip for 45 mins... let it cool and hey presto! no more red ring of death.. for about a fortnight lol
Back to top Go down
Cheesy
Cheesy

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 1:40 pm

My user manual must be out of date. Mine talks about a sheep, not a goat tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp doing my head in!   Comp doing my head in! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp doing my head in!
Page 1 of 1